Newspaper columns should cause a stir

It’s no big secret that we all have opinions. It’s also no big secret that we all come to those opinions based on a variety of reasons and influences, both past and present, and this is why many of us have different opinions.

But the fact that we are able to voice our thoughts, opinions, disgust, outrage, successes, critiques, applause, agreement and dissent with regard to any topic is absolutely key to the productive use of our freedom of speech.

Enter the opinions page of any given newspaper. It serves as one platform for expression of our opinions. But more than that, it provides a public forum for discussion and debate in a civilized manner.

The columns that draw the most attention and comments are the ones that are doing their jobs.

They spark a conversation among readers in the comments section and in formal responses like letters to the editor.

Take, for example, the most commented-on columns in the Kernel so far this year. The winner, with 53 comments, is “AkoUstiKats better than song choice on NBC’s Sing Off.”

Many people disagreed with the columnist’s views, and pulled no punches in saying so not only in the comments box, but also on social media. But the point is not that many dissented from the columnist’s view, but that they voiced it in the first place. By doing so, they fostered a semblance of a conversation about which the readers obviously cared deeply.

Another column that garnered good feedback is a perfect example of the type of conversation sharing our opinions can publicly foster. “Despite signage, UK is not a tobacco-free campus” is unique in the fact that the columnist is a part of the conversation.

The author and others with an opinion on the matter civilly discussed the arguments in the column, providing points and counterpoints, and thanking each other for the comments along the way. At its best, this is what the opinions page is designed to do.

With hundreds of comments on columns in The New York Times, this concept is executed nationally. Again, it is not necessarily that the commenters either agree or disagree with the writer’s viewpoint, but that as a society, we are willing to own our opinions and have a conversation (even remotely) with those who share and dissent from that opinion.

In his time as a reporter for major newspapers in Chicago, Finley Peter Dunne said it is the job of the newspaper to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. This should be the mantra of opinions pages around the country — we shouldn’t fear the comments section.

Because if a column doesn’t rub someone the wrong way and start a conversation, it’s just type on a page.