Ingram, Dean to vie for student votes in upcoming election

Micaha Dean SG presidential candidate

By Morgan Eads and Will Wright

UK Student Government Association elections will decide the student body president and vice president for the 2014-15 school year. Jake Ingram and Mariel Jackson will run against Micaha Dean and Evan Pulliam.

The Kentucky Kernel will hold a debate between the two tickets on March 4 at 7 p.m. in Memorial Hall. Britt Brockman, chairman of the Board of Trustees and former Student Government president (1981-82), will moderate the debate. Elections will be held on March 5 and 6.

Jake Ingram

Presidential candidate

Hometown: Nicholasville, Ky.

Major and year: Mechanical engineering junior

Activities: Ingram is involved with Wrap Up America, DanceBlue, RUF campus ministry, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Sigma Chi fraternity and the Interfraternity Council. He has also worked as a Visitor Center tour guide for more than two years and currently serves as vice president for Student Government

Favorite place on campus: The Visitor Center. Ingram said he likes to hang out there between classes to talk with prospective students.

Favorite food: His mother’s homemade enchiladas

Mariel Jackson

Vice presidential candidate

Hometown: Murray, Ky.

Major and year: Integrated strategic communication sophomore, political science minor

Activities: Jackson serves as a senator at-large and as vice chair of the Academics and Student Affairs Committee. She is the Foundation Ambassador and Freshman Leadership Development Program assistant for her sorority, Chi Omega. Jackson also participates in DanceBlue.

Favorite place on campus: The area around the library, especially when the weather is nice enough for a pleasant walk.

Favorite food: Filet mignon

About Ingram and Jackson’s platform:

Though Ingram said UK is on the forefront of student safety, he and Jackson believe there are ways to improve security, especially for students who live off campus. If elected, they plan to promote a smartphone application called LifeLine Response EDU.

The app allows someone to notify police of their location by taking his or her finger off the phone’s screen.

Ingram and Jackson plan to work with the administration to implement the app, but they said Student Government will cover the costs if the administration decides not to.

Ingram and Jackson are working with the Center for Community Outreach to create a “Big Blue Pantry” for students, faculty and staff who are in financial need.

Ingram and Jackson also want to increase the amount of funding available for student organizations.

ingramjackson2014.com

Micaha Dean

Presidential candidate

Hometown: Ashland, Ky.

Major and year: Integrated strategic communication and corporate communication junior; minors in Spanish and computer science

Activities: Dean is the president of the Student Activities Board, the executive vice president for Alpha Delta Pi sorority, assistant to the chief of staff for Student Government and the social media coordinator for DanceBlue. She is a member of the honors program as well as a Visitor  Center tour guide.

Favorite place on campus: The crosswalk between the W.T. Young Library and Memorial Hall, especially at night. “That strip of campus has so much of UK’s history and potential in one view,” Dean said.

Favorite food: Doughnuts

Evan Pulliam

Vice presidential candidate

Hometown: Lexington

Major and year: Marketing and arts administration senior; minors in economics and vocal performance

Activities: Pulliam has served as appropriations and revenue chair for Student Government, the College of Fine Arts senator, business manager for the AcoUstiKats and the vice president for Beta Gamma Sigma business honors society. Pulliam is a member of Omicron Delta Kappa fraternity, UK men’s choir, UK Chorale and UK Opera Theatre.

Favorite place on campus: The Singletary Center for the Arts. Pulliam said he likes this building not only for the concerts, but also because it’s the best place to nap on campus.

Favorite food: Thai food, or anything with sriracha

About Dean and Pulliam’s platform:

Dean and Pulliam’s platform has four main pillars. The first is to unite students with campus and the surrounding community. This involves engaging students who live off campus in  Student Government, and creating an interactive campus calendar for student organizations.

The second pillar emphasizes representation of the entire UK community in Student Government. The pair hopes to make Student Government more accessible to students through face-to-face meetings with representatives.

The third pillar, “for the students,” focuses on professional advising, support of the Student Food Pantry and handicap accessibility on campus.

The fourth pillar seeks to improve current Student Government initiatives, like the website. Dean and Pulliam also want to better prepare senators before sending them into the field.

deanpulliam2014.com