UK chef still missing

By Will Wright

The search for a missing UK chef is continuing more than four weeks after he was reported missing to police.

Alex Johnson, a chef at the Hilary J. Boone Center, was last heard from on Dec. 20, said Lisa Horobin, his girlfriend, but no one has reported hearing from him since.

Johnson never showed up to a work meeting on the following Saturday, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

“None of this has made sense at all,” said Johnson’s former neighbor, Josh Holt. “He had a very good head on his shoulders.”

Lexington police spokesman Sherelle Roberts said the search began after Johnson was reported missing on Dec. 20, and will continue until he is found.

In addition to the police search, a Facebook page, titled “Find Alex Johnson,” has been created to build awareness of his being missing.

As of Tuesday, the page had more than 13,000 likes.

Lexington’s Mellow Mushroom had a benefit night on Jan. 9 to help gather donations for the search and build community support.

“The main focus of the benefit was to increase awareness so we can bring him home,” Horobin said.

Originally from Bowling Green, Ky., Johnson attended Transylvania University before cooking at the Boone Center, Horobin said.

Johnson is an athlete and an outdoorsman who spends much of his free time hiking in places like the Red River Gorge.

“He loved to camp and hike, he loved the Gorge,” Horobin said. “We even camped out in the national parks in Yellowstone.”

In spring of 2013, Johnson completed the Redbud Ride, a more than 100-mile bicycle race.

Johnson is as kind as he is active, Horobin said, and he is well liked by people who knew him.

“He has a lot of really good friends. He’s just a really good guy,” Horobin said. “He would help anyone out at the drop of a hat, no questions asked.”