UK struggles to score late in loss to Baylor

Staff report

UK made two field goals in the  final 13:05, and Baylor University came from nine points behind to win 67-62 over the Cats early on Saturday morning at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Baylor junior guard Kenny Chery led all scorers with 18 points, including a jumper from near the free throw line with 41 seconds left to give the Bears a two-possession lead at 65-61.

UK used a 12-6 run to begin the second half, which pushed the Cats’ lead to 50-41. But Baylor relied on their rebounding advantage to gather offensive rebounds and make the game’s final run.

UK was out-rebounded for the first time this season, 41-25. Baylor grabbed 18 offensive rebounds, and its effort off the glass was headlined by sophomore forward Rico Gathers’ 13 rebounds off of the bench.

With the Cats clinging to a four-point lead with less than 10 minutes to play, the Bears used three offensive rebounds to produce a three-point offensive possession on a free throw and a layup.

By the time Chery hit a pair of free throws with 6:01 remaining, Baylor claimed the lead that it would not relinquish.

UK freshman forward Julius Randle had 16 points and eight rebounds, both team highs. Freshman guard Aaron Harrison added 15 points, and freshman guard James Young had 14 points on 4-of-6 shooting from three.

The Cats were 12-for-23 from the free throw line. Young missed a pair of free throws with 2:22 remaining and UK down one point, and Randle hit 2-of-4 in two separate trips to the free throw line in the final 63 seconds.