Cauley-Stein nine blocks lift Cats to victory

Staff report

Sophomore forward Willie Cauley-Stein set a career high with nine blocks to go along with 15 points and eight rebounds to lead another strong second-half effort for UK in its 79-65 victory over Providence College on Sunday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Cauley-Stein’s nine blocks in the Cats’ second game away from Rupp Arena was the most for any UK player since Nerlens Noel’s 11 blocks against the University of Mississippi last January.

The Cats (7-1) stormed out to an early advantage that was as big as 10 points in the first nine minutes of the game as freshman guard Aaron Harrison scored seven straight points between 14:28 and 12:10 of the first half to pace UK’s offense in the beginning.

Providence kept the margin within single digits as the first half continued through exceptional three-point shooting and the scoring of Friars senior guard Bryce Cotton.

Cotton’s two three-pointers rescued Providence from a 23-14 deficit, then his third three-point shot of the half tied the game at 35 with just over two minutes to go in the first half.

But Providence (7-2) never claimed the lead in the game as the Cats imposed their physical presence close to the basket, led by Cauley-Stein.

The Cats led 41-38 early in the second half when the 7-foot sophomore tipped in a missed shot. Two possessions later, Cauley-Stein blocked two Friars shots from point-blank range and finished a fast break with a dunk, forcing a Providence timeout as UK led 47-38.

Cotton, Providence’s leading scorer, went nearly 13 minutes without scoring as the Cats built a lead well into double digits through balanced scoring of Cauley-Stein, freshman guard James Young (18 points) and Harrison (15 points).

Freshman forward Julius Randle had 12 points and eight rebounds as his double-double streak of seven games was snapped.