Constitution Day features politics and pie

By Taylor Clark

news@kykernel.com

Henry Clay and Betsy Ross will be among those in attendance at the tenth annual Constitution Day at 11 a.m. Tuesday on the North Lawn of the Main Building.

An actor will play Henry Clay and a freshman honors student will be dressed as Betsy Ross at the event, which will feature a pie eating contest.

The late Robert C. Byrd, the longest serving Congress member in history, felt that young people lacked appreciation and knowledge of the United States Constitution.

In December 2004, an amendment was passed stating that an educational program about the United States Constitution, on September 17 to commemorate the signing of the Constitution on that day in 1787, would be federally mandated for all educational institutions that receive federal funding.

The theme for this year’s Constitution Day is “Ballot Bomb: Exploring the Young Voter Explosion.”

It will focus on the issue of students fearing they will end up in their parent’s basement with no opportunity to use their college degree after graduation.

There will be a choral performance by Christ the King middle school students.

Senate candidates Sen. Mitch McConnell, Ky.-R, Alison Lundergan Grimes, Ky.-D, conservative republican Matt Bevin and libertarian David Patterson have been invited to come and join the talk about the Young Voter Agenda for the 2014-midterm elections. The young voter turnout in the 2014 elections could determine the Senate race in Kentucky, said Buck Ryan, UK journalism professor and event organizer.

“For the first time in the history of Constitution Day at UK we’ve brought together Henry Clay, Betsy Ross and the most polite middle school students you’ve ever seen,” Ryan said. “That’s a victory for civic life.”