Delta Sigma Phi sponsors Earthball event for American Red Cross

By Eric Torres | @KyKernel

Delta Sigma Phi fraternity’s third annual Earthball philanthropy event will be held Friday at 4 p.m. on the Johnson Center Fields.

All money raised by the tournament will be donated to the American Red Cross, Delta Sig’s philanthropy organization, and the Starkey Hearing Foundation, the philanthropy of Delta Zeta sorority, who is partnered with Delta Sig for the event.

The American Red Cross has been particularly busy helping victims of the Boston Marathon attack.

“It’s a lot of fun for two great causes, and we’re happy to do anything we can to help,” said Matt Danter, Delta Sig’s philanthropy chair and organizer of the event.

Earthball is a game with rules similar to soccer, but played with a giant inflatable ball eight feet in diameter. Each eight-person team has to get the ball into their “endzone” using whatever means necessary.

Live music and food will be provided at the event for the enjoyment of both players and fans, who can pay a $3 admission to watch the Earthball action and cheer on their friends.

Any UK or BCTC student can register a team online at www.tinyurl.com/ukearthball in either the men’s or women’s brackets. The cost is $8 per person with an eight person minimum, and the deadline to register is Thursday night.

Trophies will be awarded for the first and second place teams in each bracket, along with awards for the best banner created to support a team.

Last year, 30 teams registered, and according to first-time Earthballer Sam Greene, a mechanical engineering freshman and Delta Sig member, this year looks to be even bigger.

“Last year, we had a great turnout and raised a lot of money, but this year we are expecting the biggest Earthball event yet,” Greene said. “It really is a blast and I encourage anyone interested to make a team and come out and kick off the weekend with us.”