The reasons to join a Greek organization at UK

Greek organizations have a clearly visible presence on the campus of UK, whether that presence is welcomed or not.

I joined one of these organizations in the fall and being a part of this group has allowed me to meet other young women who will, quite literally, be my friends and sisters for life. I have also made, and continued, great friendships with members of other Greek organizations, and “divisions” and “competition” within Greek life have not affected how I interact with these people.

Other friends of mine, at UK and other universities, are not involved in Greek life and that does not mean that I value or respect them any less: Those individuals made a choice that works for them and finding where you personally fit in is what going Greek is about.

At UK, Greek organizations make many contributions to campus life, as their own organizations, conference groups and individuals who represent their organizations. To say that Greek life is a bad thing for UK fails to recognize the good contributions that come from all Greek organizations.

There are many stereotypes associated with being involved in any Greek organization, especially one in the National Panhellenic Conference at UK. Those stereotypes can come from non-Greeks and members of other Greek groups, but they can all be damaging and hurtful nonetheless. As a Greek, you are always wearing your letters. So in everything I do, I reflect my sorority.

Before joining a sorority I wanted to earn good grades, make friends, take part in fun activities, continue being kind to others and give back to my community. Now I can do all of that with my sorority and as an individual reflecting (hopefully always) the best side of my own Greek organization and the other Greek organizations on campus.

Going Greek has not made me closed-minded, snobby or entitled. Individuals who have those characteristics before joining Greek organizations and fail to soften their personalities and actions after joining are often the ones who non-Greeks (and fellow Greeks) have problems with. It is unfortunate that stereotypes and lasting biases result from those select few individuals.

Whether you are part of a Greek letter organization or not, stereotypes and biases are forced upon everyone. Although there will always be differences between Greek and non-Greek students, and further differences within each part of the student body, it is important to remember that we are all part of the same University of Kentucky.