Students educated on fossil fuel emissions

By Logan Brown | @KyKernel

UK students participated in a nation-wide event to raise awareness of fossil fuel emissions on campus Monday in honor of Earth Day.

The Take Back Earth Day event was sponsored by the UK Greenthumb Environmental Club, which is the largest environmental club on campus.

The event took place at over 700 campuses across the country, with the goal of educating students on the growing issue of fossil fuel emissions and a focus on the coal boilers near campus, said Caroline Engle, a natural resources and environmental science freshman.

UK administrators said that they are aware of the greenhouse emissions they produce.

“The university constantly monitors our progress regarding greenhouse emissions,” said Bob Wiseman, vice president for facilities management. “We have launched significant efforts to reduce our electrical loads, and as a result, our emissions.”

According to Wiseman, the university has undertaken a $25 million conservation effort in the past several years, even hiring an engineer who specializes in the field.

Fossil fuel emissions are not an issue that only campuses should worry about, Greenthumb members emphasized. It is also important that people realize that they can take small steps to reduce their own emissions.

“There are lots of things you can do,” said Isabel Cochran, a natural resources and environmental science sophomore and member of Greenthumb. “You can unplug appliances you aren’t using, you can take (shorter) showers, you can turn off the lights when you leave. You can even write to your legislator about voting for bills that support investment in renewable energy and divestment from fossil fuels.”

To learn more about the UK Greenthumb Environmental Club, visit the UK Greenthumb Facebook page or email [email protected].