Time to migrate from politics into policy reform

Any of the immigration reform plans, including Sen. Rand Paul’s plan, do not attack the main issues.

Before we decide what we are going to do with the people who are here illegally, we must find solutions to stop illegal immigration. Comprehensive reforms do not work.

The 1986 immigration reform failed, and after 25 years the number of illegals increased, the border is not secure and employers keep hiring illegals.

We’re not stopping illegal immigration legalizing them, we’re stopping illegal immigration preventing them from coming into America. We must bring justice and consistency to our immigration processes.

Is justice rewarding illegal activity with path to citizenship? Sen. Rand Paul spoke Wednesday about his filibuster in the drones deal, and I think he did a good job, but he is missing a point: right now drunk illegal alien drivers kill 4,700 Americans a year, more than the drones, and he is planning to reward them.

He stated the ones with criminal records will be deported. We don’t need a reform to do it, we do have laws and processes already to deport criminals, but we do not enforce those laws.

Instead they free them in our streets again and again, or if they get deported, they just come back. Sen. Paul, as a Republican, believes in free enterprise and small government.

But he is planning to create more regulations to force people who failed to comply with our laws and processes into American society, giving them legality and rewarding their unlawful conduct with a path to citizenship.

Sen. Paul compromised to work in costs and deficit reduction, but illegal aliens cost Kentucky $280 million a year and illegal aliens’ tax revenue is only 17.4 million a year.

So, is really this a good deal? Immigration is about selection, the nation should be able to decide who do we want here, how many and when, we should not just take the ones who forced their way into our territory.

Immigrants are those who follow the rules and processes. Citizenship must be something we achieve through an honorable process, not through fraud.

Our immigration system works; over a million legal immigrants become American citizens every year, and we are receiving more legal immigrants than we are creating jobs.

So why we should also add a legalization to those who chose to break the laws and come anyway? Serious immigration reform should start with four points: real border security, a mandatory and reliable employment verification system, a solution to the anchor babies and enforcement through attrition.

After we test and we are sure the new system works, we will work in what are we going to do with the illegals. After all, immigration is about us, not them.