Disc golf club back at UK

Will Wright throws a disc at Disc Golf practice at Veterans Park in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday, March 2, 2013. Photo by Jon Kinneman | Staff

By Kelsey Harper| @KyKernel

news@kykernel.com

Three determined students at UK have not let past failures stop them from starting a new disc golf club, which they are determined to keep alive.

Each previous disc golf club at UK has failed, but two brothers and their friend have started a new club they think will have the key to being the first true success.

“I think we are the fifth disc golf team to be started at UK,” said Will Wright, journalism freshman and disc golf club co-founder.

“Disc golf is cheap and fun, and anyone can play and there is no experience necessary,” said Alex Wright, political science junior and disc golf club co-founder.

Will and Alex Wright started playing disc golf two summers ago on their PlayStation and last semester decided to start a team at UK.

The team said that disc golf is a growing sport and they were surprised at how many people were interested when they looked into starting the club.

Currently, they play tournaments under the Bluegrass Disc Golf Association at Shilito Park, Veterans Park and River Hill Park, which all have disc golf courses.

Four people are presently in the club and they are waiting for warmer weather to start recruiting for the disc golf season in the spring.

Even though they know the pressure is on, being the fifth disc golf club, they think they have what it takes for their team to make it.

“It is easy to get involved and not a large time commitment,” said Desirae Carron, political science and philosophy sophomore and disc golf club member.

At the moment there are no set practices but when the team becomes larger they will work toward making the disc golf team more organized and official.

The club can be reached through their Twitter account, @UKdiscgolfclub, and their Facebook page, University of Kentucky Disc Golf Club, where practice times and locations are posted.

David Greenwell says:

Congratulations on your new club. I actually designed Shillito disc golf course, with assistance from Everett Lasley. Everett was a protoge of mine, and went on to design Veterans. I was also the coach for the last UK disc golf club to participate in the National Collegiate Championships in Augusta Ga. I really don’t think that club failed,….it graduated. Everett lives in nicholasville, and might be someone who could help out your team. I wish I had the time to do so, but with doing 9 live broadcasts with discgolfplanet.tv,and helping start Prodigy Disc, my time is unfortunately occupied. Feel free to email me with any questions you might have. I will be glad to help if I can. Good luck. Dave Greenwell pdga#962