VIP Center offers opportunity to unwind

By Robert Hatchett

The Violence Intervention and Prevention Center is hosting its Week B4 Finals event through Friday.

VIP Center Director Melanie Matson identified the main reason for the event being “to offer the opportunity to unwind and relax during a stressful time just before finals.”

“Each day there will be free snacks, movies, games and crafts,” Matson said.

The crafts include coloring a mandala, filling in a zentangle and decorating wrapping paper, which will be donated to the Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program to wrap gifts for the children there.

Matson realizes most students often feel pressured during this time of the semester, which is why she encourages students to come.

Self-care is essential to being able to concentrate and replenish the focus and energy needed to study, Matson said.

“It can be so beneficial for students to leave their typical study space for a break and our place is a great resource for this,” said Rhonda Henry, intervention program coordinator.

Leah Godlaski, VIP graphic artist, described the event as “an opportunity to take your mind off papers and finals and grab a snack and meet some other volunteers.”

This is the second year of the Week B4 Finals event, which was created by VIP Center staff and interns.

“The ultimate goal of this event is to encourage students to visit the VIP Center, get involved and stay connected,” Matson said.