Wiggins, Harrisons impress at Hoopfest

By Nick Jones | @Kernel_Nick

Andrew Wiggins came into the Marshall County Hoopfest crowned as the No. 1-ranked player in the world on the high school level, and the young star undoubtedly lived up to the hype.

Wiggins’ Huntington Prep team, which features as much talent as any roster in the nation, won both of its games in a dominating fashion.

On Friday night, Huntington defeated reigning Tennessee state champs, Memphis East High School, 76-59, as the 6-foot-8 Wiggins overwhelmed the opposition on both ends of the floor.

Wiggins put forth the best individual performance of the entire showcase Friday night as he filled up the stat sheet.

He finished the game with 29 points, 17 rebounds, five assists and five blocks, all without turning the ball over once.

“I think in the first game I really showed out,” Wiggins said after the Hoopfest finale. “Tonight I struggled in the first half, but I brought it up in the second half.”

On day two, Huntington Prep took on Briarcrest Christian. Wiggins scored 25 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the 74-40 blowout win.

Most of Wiggins’ production came in the second half against Briarcrest, but it was still enough for the forward to be named game MVP for the second night in a row.

After the game, Wiggins acknowledged that his No. 1-ranked team lacked some intensity in its second game, despite the large margin of victory.

“We have to stay motivated as a team and focus on our goal of winning a national championship,” he said.

Throughout the weekend, Cats fans made their support loud and clear with chants of “UK” and “Go Big Blue” directed toward Wiggins.

“I always try to give the fans what they want: dunks, threes, crossovers,” Wiggins said with a grin.

But fans will have to continue to wait for the Toronto native’s college decision. Wiggins, who will visit Florida State this week, says he has no timetable to end his recruitment.

At Hoopfest he was able to see UK signees Aaron and Andrew Harrison in action in person for the first time.

“They are great players. I could see myself playing with them,” Wiggins said of the Harrison twins. “They love to pass, love to score. They would take pressure off of me to score.”

The twins were also able to take a glimpse at the play of Wiggins and Huntington Prep.

“We watched a little bit of it yesterday. Definitely amazing,” Aaron Harrison said of Wiggins. “He is a great player, so I am sure he will make the right decision.”

During their Saturday afternoon press conference, the twins discussed the possibility of adding a player like Wiggins and being a part of the greatest recruiting class of all time.

“I feel like that would be great and make history and everything, but right now we will be fine with what we have right now.” Andrew Harrison said. “But to get another player would be great.”