HALFTIME: UK leads Samford on senior day 31-3

Kentucky Wildcats quarterback Jalen Whitlow (13) makes a touchdown during the first half of the UK Football game v. Samford at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday, November 17, 2012. Photo by Genevieve Adams

By Ethan Levine

UK leads Samford 31-3 at halftime of its final home game of the season. The Cats rushed for 153 yards on 29 carries in the first half while also registering their first defensive touchdown of the season late in the half.

Despite the excitement of the team’s senior day, it was a pair of freshmen that once again led the UK offense. Freshman quarterback Jalen Whitlow was 10-11 passing in the first half for 66 yards and a touchdown to senior Gene McCaskill, and contributed five rushes for 44 yards and another touchdown. Whitlow led three scoring drives in the half.

Midway through the second quarter, Whitlow was replaced at quarterback by fellow freshman Patrick Towles, but the offense hardly lost momentum. Towles was 4-5 passing for 47 yards in the half, and led a scoring drive of his own (another drive led by Towles ended with a Jonathan George fumble at the Samford one yard line).

George and fellow running back Raymond Sanders combined for 114 yards on the ground in the half- 58 from Sanders and 56 from George.

Late in the half, a UK defense that had allowed Samford just 52 yards of total offense turned in its first score of the season, a 25-yard fumble return by Tristian Johnson to extend the Cats’ lead to 31-3.

For the half, the UK offense outgained Samford 266-52. The Bulldogs will receive the kickoff to begin the second half.