UK volleyball hosts senior day

By Nick Gray

UK volleyball celebrates Senior Day on Sunday, looking to curb a two-game skid against Georgia (13-13, 7-9 SEC) in Memorial Coliseum at 1:30 p.m.

The Cats and head coach Craig Skinner will honor seniors Stephanie Klefot, Christine Hartmann and Ashley Frazier before the match.

Klefot has been the Cats’ libero since her freshman season in 2009. That year, Klefot was named to the All-SEC Freshman Team. Klefot was named the SEC Libero of the Year in 2010 and 2011 while also being named to the All-SEC First Team those two years. Klefot also earned

2011 AVCA All-America Second Team honors as a libero. Klefot will become a four-year letter winner at the conclusion of the 2012 season.

A three-year letter winner at setter, Hartmann played her best volleyball in the 2011 season. She earned 2011 AVCA All-America Honorable Mention honors to go with a 2011 AVCA All-South Region First Team mention. Hartmann also was named to the 2011 All-SEC First Team.

Frazier transferred from Alabama after her sophomore year. She is among the finalists for the Senior CLASS award in the sport of volleyball, an award that is given to a student athlete who excels in athletics, academics and in the community. Frazier earned the All-2011 CoSIDA Academic All-District team distinction as a junior to go along with her 2011 All-SEC Second Team honor on the court.

Combining with her time with Alabama, the senior outside-hitter has earned three varsity letters before this season.

“They are a passionate group of people who play very hard for (UK) volleyball,” Skinner said. “They have continued the tradition of the program and have worked hard to make sure everyone knows the expectations don’t change every year.”

UK fell in two road matches last weekend, a 3-1 loss at Ole Miss and a 3-2 comeback by Arkansas. Skinner said the match Sunday carries importance as the regular season winds down, and “they know what Georgia has to offer.”

The Bulldogs consist of three attackers who earn more than 2.50 kills per set. Junior Brittany Northcutt hits 2.94 kills per set, leading Georgia. Sophomore Tirah Le’au averages 2.72 kills per set and senior Briana Bahr adds 2.53 kills per set.

Georgia has lost five consecutive matches, which began with a 3-2 loss to UK on Oct. 28 in Athens.