Faculty Senate memo criticizes Capilouto

Kernel Staff File Photo

By Gary Hermann

The University Senate Council delivered a critical memo to President Eli Capilouto detailing ways they feel his administration has come up short in carrying out the mission of the university.

“I certainly understand and appreciate the concerns expressed. UK, like virtually every public institution of higher learning and business, continues to grapple with a challenging economy,” Capilouto said in an email to the Kernel.

Forums were hosted and electronic message boards were opened to gather responses from the faculty regarding budget cuts. These responses were summarized to create the point-by-point response from the faculty.

“Everybody within the university, if they have an opinion, needs to speak it,” Student Government President Stephen Bilas said. “With the memo, the only reservation I personally had with it was if it was really necessary to go to the Herald.”

The memo was critical of Capilouto’s handling of undergraduate education.

“Faculty expressed anger regarding the administration’s publicized focus on excellence in undergraduate education while at the same time stripping funding from educational units. Many see the increase in enrollments combined with reduction in resources, staff, and faculty as undermining the quality of undergraduate education,” the memo said.

One of the strongest criticisms was the accusation that Capilouto had created a “false crisis.”

“Our recurring budget is $50 million less than it was in 2007 and $20 million less than this time last year. That has necessitated difficult, and sometimes painful, decisions regarding reductions in our budget,” Capilouto said

The faculty members were also critical of a perceived lack of transparency from the university.

According to the memo, “Many feel disadvantaged because they have had little to no information on the exact nature of the budget, when the second round of cuts will be exacted, and whether they will have any role in the process.”

Capilouto said his administration has been transparent but could do better.

“I appreciate very much the Senate’s admonition to me to find ways to continue to improve communication and consultation,” Capilouto said.

Capilouto acknowledged these are tough budget times for UK.

“The simple fact is that state and federal funding won’t return anytime soon to the levels of five or 10 years ago. So, we have to find ways to control our destiny, rather than having it dictated for us,” Capilouto said.

The conclusion of the memo included an excerpt from one of the responses that said, “Many on the faculty have noticed that our drive to increase enrollment has led to the admission of more and more poorly qualified students, who are likely to drop out of college with an enormous debt and no degree to show for it.”

Capilouto pointed out the qualifications of this year’s incoming class in response to this criticism.

“Our first-year class this semester is, without question, the finest to ever enter the university. They are the most academically prepared we’ve ever enrolled with 71 National Merit Finalists,” Capilouto said.

The memo asked Capilouto to “promote the values espoused in our Governing Regulations – particularly ‘mutual respect and human dignity’ and ‘diversity and inclusion’ in all future personnel actions.”

In response to the Kernel’s request for an interview, Lee Blonder, the University Senate Council chair, said in an email, “I am not available, but everything I have to say about this is in the memo.”

The memo also requested a point-by-point response to the concerns of the faculty.

According to Capilouto, he has called a special meeting of the University Senate Council on Oct. 22 to discuss these issues.

“Do I think the administration and the faculty can come to a much better agreement? I definitely think it’s in the cards,” Bilas said. “I think it can be dealt that way. It’s just tough.”