CSF serves up free pancakes every Friday following K Week festivities

By Nini Edwards

The fourth annual 12 and 12 Pancakes event for free flapjacks is available for students every time the clock strikes 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. through Friday.

They’ll be served throughout the year every Friday at midnight for Free Friday Flapjacks.

The mouthwatering pancakes are being served at the corner of Woodland and Columbia in the Christian Student

Fellowship building.

Such toppings as chocolate chips, whipped cream, peanut butter and, of course, syrup are provided.

“These are Krusteaz pancakes,” said CSF Director and Campus Minister Brian Marshall. “We buy the batter by these gigantic bags and they are really tasty.”

Students from every class mingled while getting their pancakes Sunday night. Chemistry sophomore Erin Lammers didn’t pass up the opportunity for free pancakes.

“It is a lot busier than last year,” Lammers said.

Marshall estimates that in a busy night a thousand students will be served 2,000 to 3,000 pancakes. He wants students to come to create a safe place where people can easily meet friends.

“I come more for the social experience than the pancakes,” Kate Cremer, an accounting sophomore, said.

Marshall said because of the extra toppings, the organization spends about $300 a week, depending on the crowd.

Jiff peanut butter donated 50 jars to “12 and 12 Pancakes” this year.

“We try to make it more than just a plain pancake — we want that extra something special so people can know that we really thought about this and they have a good experience,” Marshall said.

Information: Christian Student Fellowship, corner of Woodland Drive and Columbia Avenue, 859-273-5433, www.ukcsf.org. Pancakes served 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. through Friday, then every Friday at midnight (technically Saturday at 12 a.m.).