Students wear hoodies in support of Trayvon Martin

Martin

Students will be wearing hoodies in support of Trayvon Martin on Thursday to bring awareness to campus of his death.

Trayvon Martin, 17, was shot on Feb. 26 while he was walking to his father’s girlfriend’s house from a convenience store in Florida. Martin was unarmed. George Zimmerman, 28, was a neighborhood watch volunteer, and told the police that he shot Martin in self-defense.

Martin’s story has gotten national attention because Zimmerman has not been arrested.

The event is sponsored by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and will take place all day on Thursday.

Ashley Campbell, UK’s NAACP president, said they put the event together in order to raise awareness on campus of Martin’s death. She said students can wear any color hoodie, with the hood up or down.

“I hope (students) get a taste that racism is still prevalent in the United States,” Campbell said.

Campbell said she hopes students get a different outlook after this event, and learn to not judge others based on stereotypes.

“I personally want for students to get the feeling that … it is wrong in general,” she said.

Jordan says:

Prospective Student: the PORTRAYAL is that Trayvon Martin was shot and killed for being black and wearing a hoodie, that Racism and stereotypes in Florida by Zimmerman is what led to Martin’s death.
White on Black crime (though Zimmerman is the first ever “white hispanic”-wonder if Obama is the first ever “white African-American”?)

The reality is rather different and not prone to fit the media template. But, can’t let justice get in the way of advancing an agenda!

Prospective Student says:

Is wearing a hoodie that big of a deal? Maybe I don’t understand living in Idaho, but I can easily say quite a few kids here wear hoodies everyday. Is that not the norm in more urban areas? Are hoodies associated with gang activity?

Not Normal says:

Normal, thank you so much for your post. Your thoughts perfectly demonstrate the ignorance and cruelty of the worst of our race, humankind. The more you spew your hateful message, the more motivated that the silent majority of people who despise what you represent here will have the courage to give their voice to this issue. You empower me because I know you exist. I feel sad for your life’s journey that brought you to this hateful, ugly place because surely there were opportunities for the people who were supposed to nurture you to show you kindness and teach you respect for all human life. They have failed you so miserably. There is a better life than the one you are living – and I hope you find it before you’ve squandered it all away in the darkness you currently reside.

Thank you, UK Student Leaders, for adding your voice to this undeniably important issue. I didn’t know this was planned for today, but I’m going home to get my hoodie too.

Jordan says:

Kafantaris: perhaps people who listen to the 911 tape should know that Martin is not the one heard screaming for help. Martin’s father said it was not his son yelling for help. Which corroborates with the witness statement that Martin was on top of Zimmerman beating him. Video evidence of Zimmermans injuries confirm the injuries.

Race has only come into this b/c of those like Sharpton and others who think they can profit and advance their agenda with Martins death. They care little for justice…

To those advocating the Zimmerman used a racial slur-CNN had an enhancement made that high lighted the words, turns out he said “F’ng cold” not coon. Makes sense seeing as it was unusually cold and rainy that evening.

I don’t know what happened that night. It’s a tragedy that Martin is dead, but condemning Zimmerman w/out any evidence is a tragedy in itself.

kafantaris says:

To get a feel of what went on the night Trayvon Martin was killed, you need to listen to that 911 call made by a neighbor. The fatal shot is heard in the background.
Just listen to it.
You need no experts.
You need not know anything about this case.
You don’t even need an open mind.
But you need to listen to that heart-wrenching call.
Then draw your own conclusions.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11548279

Normal says:

Wow, didn’t know UK had a notoriously racist chapter of an organization there… the NAACP is among the most racist collective bodies in existence! They’re essentially the Black version of the KKK!!! Given all the facts that have come out of the Martin case, clearly these racists have an agenda of playing the victim. Simply showing the picture of a 13 year old boy in this article is clear proof of the liberal media bias. Why don’t you go ahead and cough up the more relevant details… the fact that the kid was 6’4″ tall, went around wearing a grill on his teeth, getting on social media sites and bragging about beating up a bus driver for no reason whatsoever except that he could, bragging about all the guns (and weapons) he has and the “gangsta” lifestyle that he embraces. As far as I’m concerned this turd got exactly what was coming to him. What’s more, if Zimmerman didn’t take him out it would have been just a matter of time before some other “gangsta” did. That’s what they do… they exterminate each other with senseless killings. Strangely, rap music celebrates that sort of thing and racist groups like the NAACP go around making excuses for when bad things happen to bad people. How about you racist losers get with the times and teach “gangstas” not to be nigs, but instead African Americans. People respect Blacks and African Americans… no one respects a nig. You know there is a difference, you just don’t want to admit it.

Btw, in light of having an NAACP chapter on UK’s campus, perhaps one should start up an organization that advances Caucasians. God knows in academia no one is discriminated more against than a White person (e.g., Affirmative Action, heavy prevalence of minority scholarships, etc.), so since you racist douches want to go around pulling the race card, how would you feel if White people threw that race card back in your face??? Fortunately for you, we’re better than that. White people take their lumps everyday when they’re actually discriminated against and don’t piss and moan about it. Perhaps the NAACP should take some pointers.