‘Missing’ preview well received: Ashley Judd’s new show premieres March 15

Ashley Judd attended the game between UK and the University of North Carolina at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky., on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011. Photo by Latara Appleby

By Rosana Osorio

Ashley Judd, who is known as an avid Cats fan and a regular “Y” at UK basketball games, got a new identity to some UK students on Tuesday as a passionate mother and relentless CIA agent.

Students previewed the first episode of the television drama “Missing” Tuesday at Worsham Theater, in an event sponsored by the UK School of Journalism and Telecommunications.

UK alumna Judd’s new show is about a mother whose son is kidnapped while studying abroad in Italy. The mother, Becca (Judd), rediscovers her retired CIA identity to search for her son in Europe in hopes of rescuing him.

“I thought it was full of action and mystery. It was exciting,” freshman Julian Mitchell said.

ABC contacted Beth Barnes, director of the School of Journalism and Telecommunications, in early January and asked if UK would be interested in airing the show’s first preview due to Judd’s connection with the university.

Barnes was more than willing to organize the event.

“I had seen the trailer for the show but had no idea how much action there was. I thought it was really good,” Barnes said.

Students, administrators and Lexington citizens in the audience held their breath and laughed together throughout the episode, and the general opinion seemed to

match.

“I thought it was pretty good. I was not expecting much, but I was surprised by how good it was,” said freshman Jason Allen.

Audience members received complimentary “Missing” badges.

Three students who correctly answered trivia questions about Judd also won large “Missing” posters.

The audience was also able to give feedback to ABC by filling out a short questionnaire about their opinions on the show.

Some audience members were surprised by Judd’s performance.

“When I think of Ashley Judd, I don’t think of her elbowing people in the face and shooting guns. It was interesting to see,” Mitchell said.

According to a recent interview, Judd, who is also a co-producer of the show, performed her own stunts.

Stunts in the episode included Judd jumping off a bridge in France and wrestling guns from the “bad guys.”

Mitchell and Barnes both agreed that they would watch the drama when it airs on television.

Judd, Sean Bean, Nick Eversman, Cliff Curtis and Adriano Giannini make up the cast of “Missing.”

“Missing” is one of ABC’s replacement shows and will premiere at 8 p.m. on Thursday, March 15.