Performing for a cause: annual Greek Sing on Saturday

By Rob Ellery

Hours of hard work, preparation and anticipation will culminate this weekend as students hope to make a little girl’s wish come true.

The sisters of Chi Omega sorority will host the annual Greek Sing fundraiser with Phi Delta Theta fraternity. The event unites Greeks across campus to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“Greek sing is the top grossing philanthropy event for Greek Life,” said Chris Weddige, a senior in Phi Delta Theta. “It’s an opportunity for each fraternity and sorority to show their overall commitment and how much they care about the event.”

Weddige said it also is a time for Greek organizations to come together “and share one common bond.”

“It shows that we get things done and raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation,” he said.

The event will be from 5 to 9 p.m. on Saturday in Memorial Coliseum. Admission is $15.

“Each organization will come up with a theme and they have five minutes to dance and act it out,” Kelsey Oliver, Chi Omega’s Greek Sing chair, said.

Oliver said that after raising $124,000 last year, the goal is to bring in $130,000 this year.

“We are assigned a family and we follow their story to see what his or her wish is so we know how to best fundraise for it,” she said.

Oliver said they are raising money for a 10-year-old girl named Reagan, who “has tumors in all of the joints in her body.” Reagan’s wish is to swim with dolphins in an Orlando, Fla., theme park, she said.

During intermission, sisters of Chi Omega and brothers of Phi Delta Theta will perform before they introduce Reagan and her family.

A Silent Auction will also be held at 7 p.m. on Friday at the Crowne Plaza.

“It’s an opportunity to bring out family and friends to bid on gift baskets across 20 tables,” Weddige said. “Items range from gift certificates to a basketball signed by Coach Cal, a signed Randall Cobb jersey and basketball tickets.”

Oliver encourages students to come and watch because it is a spirited and lively event.

“Every chapter puts their all into it,” she said. “It’s for a great cause and you get to interact with the family and see the true purpose.”