National media starting to anoint UK

UK looked good in its 74-50 win over LSU.

Really good.

So good that the national media is writing that UK has separated itself from the rest of the college basketball pack.

CBS, ESPN and SI.com all lauded UK’s play so far, play that has UK sitting at No. 1 in the polls and 21-1 overall — and it still has room to grow.

This storyline was a common one before the season. Most media said UK had the most talent. It just had to grow into that potential.

Based of what they’re writing, the national media seems to think that moment has come.

CBS’ Gary Parrish:

And it’s starting to look like the Wildcats are the lone trustworthy thing in the sport.

Sure, John Calipari will continue to question his team and build others up because that’s what he does. But there’s no denying that the third-year Kentucky coach doesn’t just have the nation’s most talented roster. He’s also got the country’s top team. And the Wildcats are playing like it. And they’re just a wild 3-pointer away from sitting here in late January with a 22-0 record.

Think about that.

If Christian Watford’s buzzer-beater doesn’t swish, Kentucky is undefeated.

Nobody else is literally one shot away from perfection.

ESPN’s Andy Katz:

The Wildcats are in Beast Mode right now. They’re just crushing teams. LSU entered this game following a tight road loss at Mississippi State. But the Wildcats are just a different animal. … How do you defend a team with that number of studs? The Wildcats have so many weapons. Syracuse is deep. Ohio State has balance. But no team in America looks as potent as Kentucky right now.

SI.com’s Rob Dauster:

And if (Terrence Jones) does start doing that on a nightly basis, the Wildcats have the potential to be scary good. Think about it like this. UK is just starting to hit their stride, but right now they are the No. 1 team in the country and currently sitting one Christian Watford three-pointer away from being undefeated.