Looking fashionable at the gym

By Shelisa Melendez

Entering into a new year naturally brings new resolutions with maintaining a healthier lifestyle ranked among the top three.

Health clubs across the country have been bursting with activity from both old and new members alike. But, before stepping foot onto the treadmill, one must first decide what to wear.

Although finding the right outfit for your sweat-filled Zumba class may seem trivial, it is guaranteed to impact your performance while working out.

Shopping for workout clothes can be as simple as you make it out to be.

First, you should search for high-performance fabrics that wick away sweat, because no one likes the feeling of damp clothing. Damp clothing is also likely to chafe.

Second, try to avoid dark colors like gray and black. A touch of bright color will surely add an extra boost of energy to your workout on those days when you just don’t feel like going.

Third, find fashionable, yet affordable pieces. Workout gear can get pricey, but it doesn’t always have to be. Local retailers such as Target, Old Navy, Victoria’s Secret, Gap and Forever 21 all carry workout gear for affordable prices.

Next, be sure to have all of the essentials. Items such as a good sports bra (a high-impact bra is good depending on your activity), breathable top, headband, comfortable pants and sneakers appropriate for your workout (i.e. running, training, etc.) are all you really need.

Lastly, be comfortable in whatever you wear, physically and emotionally. If you have a problem area that you don’t want to draw attention to, dress according to what makes you feel best.

Remember, you look good when you feel good.