Alabama another step in UK’s progression

Let’s start with the advantages Alabama will have when it plays UK Saturday:

1. They play great defense. The Crimson Tide are No. 1 in scoring defense (56.4) and No. 2 in field goal percentage defense (37%) in the SEC. “They’re really, really good defensively,” coach John Calipari said. “They’re going to guard us. When you drive you’re going to have a body on you.” Much of that is predicated on their physicality, which will probably be the most UK has encountered this season.

Let’s now move on to the advantages UK will have:

1. They play great defense. The Cats are No. 2 in scoring defense (59.1) and No. 1 in field goal percentage defense (35.8%) in the SEC.
  2. They play very good offense, ranking No. 2 in scoring offense (79.8) and No. 1 in field goal percentage (48.8%).
  3. They are playing at Rupp Arena, where they haven’t lost in 45 games. “We always say we don’t want to be the team that messes up,” Anthony Davis said. “We go out there and try to approach every game like any other one, but at the same time, play hard knowing we have to keep the streak alive.”
  4. They are playing Alabama just 39 hours after the Crimson Tide lost to Vanderbilt at home. “Hopefully that factors in,” Darius Miller said, “and we take advantage of that.” UK, meanwhile, hasn’t played since Tuesday, when it ripped apart Arkansas in a performance that led to the least critical Calipari in along time. Doron Lamb said if UK keeps playing like that, “we can win every game and win the whole thing.”
  5. They (most likely) won’t get buried by 3-pointers. Alabama makes 26.9 percent, worst in the SEC.

Now, this doesn’t mean UK will win. Alabama certainly can beat the Cats, especially if its defense really, really frustrates UK’s half court offense — which is entirely possible.

But the Cats’ confidence is high, as evidenced by Lamb’s quote. He specifically referenced the improved play of Terrence Jones and Marquis Teague (quick note: Teague will be the most interesting player to watch. He played fantastic against Arkansas, but that up-tempo style of play perfectly suited him. He needs to replicate that in the half court, and Alabama will be the best test yet) for why UK is starting to make strides.

Anthony Davis is also showing improvement in a more narrow manner. He’s been developing post moves to accentuate his lob-catching skills. Calipari said the key was that Davis allowed the coaching staff to properly pace him.

“I had no post experience until I got here,” Davis said. “Now I’m learning moves, it’s making it a lot easier.”

Davis said the right-handed jump hook is his best one right now, especially after he made a slight adjustment in how much pressure he applies to the ball when he releases it.

“Hopefully we start getting him more touches so he can show that,” Miller said. “He’s been very patient, doing what coach wants him to do.”

There’s one more thing Davis gets to show against Alabama: that he can play defense against a physical post player. He struggled at times against Tennessee — the team he said has been the most physical this year — as the Volunteers backed him down on the block.

Going up against Alabama’s JaMychal Green, who’s averaging 13.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game, will be a big test. Last year, Josh Harrellson contained Green in the SEC Tournament, and everybody made a big deal out of it. Davis gets his chance Saturday.

Overall, UK shouldn’t be tested against Alabama — but it will be another step in the progression of this team.

“It’s what this team needs,” Calipari said.