Capilouto concerned over possible $19-million loss in state funding

By Kayla Pickrell

President Eli Capilouto expressed his concerns with the proposed budget cuts Tuesday evening, in an email to the UK community.

Gov. Steve Beshear is presenting a six-year budget-cut and state-improvement plan, including a $19.4 million cut from UK’s operating budget.

“Such reductions without question would have a significant impact on the University of Kentucky,” Capilouto said in the email.

Capilouto also said the budget will be more difficult than any in memory.

“I think the president set the news in a framework that makes it clear it will take some time to get our budget stabilized,” Ernie Yanarella, a political science professor and former UK faculty trustee, said.

In former President Lee Todd’s term, there was a similar budget cut that led to increases in student tuition and a decrease in faculty salaries.

“It prompted the budget offices to look for other areas to find money,” Yanarella said. “This led to tuition increases.”

Not only will tuition increase, but the budget cuts for the university will lead to using the private funding for the renovation plans, rather than the state funding.

“My hope is that Capilouto will be able to find efficiencies throughout the university to prevent the need to go to double-digit budget increases,” Yanarella said.

Over the past few years, tuition has increased, but never has the threat of a double-digit tuition increases occurred until now, Yanarella said.

“As a parent, this is not good news with two children going off to college,” Yanarella said. “My hope is that Capilouto will be vigilant in searching other areas for profit.”

Before approving a tuition increase, a percentage will be proposed and Capilouto and the UK Board of Trustees will make the decision.

“The students know that President Capilouto is trying to reduce the burden on the school and on the students,” Micah Fielden, Student Government president, said.

Capilouto predicts that the state appropriation has mirrored the state appropriation in 2001.

Although there is no word on an official tuition increase and the specifics of this budget cut, Capilouto said UK will strive to keep the university in the light.

“Let me assure you, UK will be in Frankfort every day to make our case about the importance of investment in this institution,” Capilouto said. “We have a compelling story to tell, and we intend to tell it vigorously — sharing the incredible stories I have heard across campus about the ways in which we prepare our students, reach breakthroughs in our laboratories and uplift communities across Kentucky.”

The budget cut not only effects UK, but the entire state.

Beshear said in his budget address that most departments and cabinets, including the governor’s office, will receive an 8.4 percent cut in the next fiscal year.

This doesn’t include the bonds being taken out for the renovations to Rupp Arena.

“We’re at the point where drastic cuts will do more damage to Kentucky’s long-term future than realized savings will help,” Beshear said. “There are those who continue to insist that Kentucky can cut its way to prosperity. If that were the case, we’d all be wealthy.”