3 things to watch for: UK vs Louisville

Three things to watch as No. 3 UK takes on No. 4 Louisville in a game with the highest combined rankings between the two teams in series history:

1. Handling the defensive pressure

Louisville figures to throw a full court press at UK, and it will fall largely on freshman guard Marquis Teague to navigate it.

“Hopefully better than he handled Indiana at the beginning of the game,” Calipari said.

Teague said earlier this week the key would be to avoid trying to dribble through the press, but rather attacking it with crisp passes.

Darius Miller said the team has been working on breaking the press in recent practices. Forcing turnovers, from both presses and tight on-ball defense in the half court, is one of Louisville’s strengths, with opponents averaging 17.4 per game. The Cardinals’ 26.1 turnover percentage is 11th-best in the nation.

“We just can’t let them hurry us up,” Miller said. “We have to be patient and not turn the ball over.”

2. Handling the physicality

A common theme on Friday among Calipari and players was the physical challenge Louisville would present.

“They played physical last year,” Miller said when asked what he remembered from last season’s game, and that will remain the same this year. “They play with a lot of intensity, and we have to match that.”

“More toughness,” Anthony Davis said on what challenge Louisville provides from other opponents UK has faced this year. “It’s going to be a tough game. It will be scrappy.”

“It will be really physical,” Calipari said. “You’ve got to be strong with the ball and protect yourself. You can’t be afraid of body-to-body contact and you’re going to have to finish.”

The toughness may pose a challenge for Terrence Jones, who will be in his second game back from a finger injury. After playing Lamar, Calipari said Jones’ effort and physicality was lacking. He won’t get a respite playing Louisville.

“He could get it re-injured,” Calipari said. “But you just got to play. And I think he’ll just play.”

Louisville’s toughness manifests itself in their rebounding. The Cardinals have outrebounded opponents by 5.9 per game. While not a great defensive rebounding team, the Cardinals get lots of multiple-shot possessions because they grab 39.1 percent of all available offensive rebounds, the 21st-best rate in the nation.

Calipari continues to implore players not named Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to help on the rebounding effort. Saturday would be a good start if they do.

3. Shutting down the scoring

Louisville has earned its one-loss record and No. 4 ranking largely from its defense, which ranks 7th in the nation in adjusted efficiency. But its offense is lacking, with an offensive efficiency that ranks 69th in the nation.

Louisville does have balance on offense — outside shooters, post players and solid guards — but other than offensive rebounding, it doesn’t do anything particularly well. Their shooting is average (49.2 percent on 2-pointers and 32.1 percent on 3-pointers), as is their ability to take care of the basketball (averaging 14.1 per game) and get to the free throw line (averaging 23 free throws per game).

UK’s defense has been a major strength all season. If the Cats turn in a good defensive effort, Louisville might not be able to keep pace.

or email him at [email protected]