Despite loss, Williams says he wants to continue serving Kentucky

By Brian Hancock

In what came as no surprise, Republican nominee David Williams lost to Democratic incumbent Steve Beshear in Kentucky’s race for governor Tuesday night.

Beshear defeated Williams by a margin of 56 percent to 35 percent of the popular vote. Independent Gatewood Galbraith claimed 9 percent of the vote.

“We had a long year,” Williams told a crowd of supporters at Lexington’s Griffin Gate Marriot. “I have a lot of people to thank.”

Williams consistently lagged behind Beshear in polls throughout the election season. He experienced several setbacks early in his campaign, including the resignation of his campaign manager, Luke Marchant, in early August. Williams continued his campaign without a manager.

He also pulled in significantly less funding than Beshear, who out-raised Williams nearly six to one since the May primary.

Despite the defeat, however, Williams maintained that he had the winning vision.

“The candidate wasn’t nearly as popular as I’d hoped he be,” he said, “but the agenda is the correct agenda.”

Conservative UK students lamented the loss, but expressed hope for the future.

“I think it’s a shame for Kentuckians, really,” said public service and leadership senior Tatum Dale, who is the UK College Republicans Chairman.

Junior Jonathon Nunley, the appropriations and revenue chair for UK Student Government Senate, said compromise is what’s needed.

“If both sides work together, we have a chance to really move forward,” Nunley said.

Brian Rose, a political science junior and the chairman of the Kentucky Federation of College Republicans, said Williams ran a good race.

“He will continue to do well at his position as president of Kentucky’s Senate,” Rose said.

Williams’s platform had called for budget and tax reforms, as he repeatedly criticized Beshear’s inability to balance Kentucky’s budget throughout his campaign.

“I hope that regardless of the outcome tonight, major issues get addressed,” said Ryan Quarles, a UK graduate and member of the Kentucky House of Representatives. “We’ve been treading water for way too long.”

Despite the loss, Williams maintained his desire to continue to work for the people of Kentucky through his position as the state’s senate president.

“I’m not going to be satisfied until every person has an opportunity to do what he or she wants to do,” he said.