Kardashian, gay marriage unrelatable

By Emma Scott

If you didn’t get a chance to read the article, “In days of divorce, gay marriage on sidelines no more,” let me summarize the introduction for you: Because Kim Kardashian’s marriage lasted 72 days, gay marriage should be legal.

Shew, this gay marriage debate has been going on for far too long. Thank goodness Kim Kardashian put an end to it. I’m glad everything is settled now.

Hold on, what?

The article continues to say, “to those of you who argue against gay marriage, behold the people who represent what you stand for.”

So, Kim Kardashian is the spokeswoman for all those against gay marriage? That’s a little insulting.

To think that any group would pick Kardashian to speak on an issue (other than how reality TV numbs our intellects) is absurd.

Let’s not insult those against gay marriage by having the audacity to honestly imply that this debate has anything at all to do with a reality TV star.

Even once I got through the introduction, the article’s main point — because heterosexuals keep getting divorced, homosexuals should be able to marry — does not make sense to me.

Because doctors keep making mistakes, should we allow more people to be doctors? I’m missing the relationship here.

As a Kernel reader, I’m just asking that complex and serious issues be treated with the respect (and word count) that they deserve.

Instead of oversimplifying either side, let’s have an actual discussion — reality TV show references optional.