Best and worst scenarios for remainder of UK’s football season

By Cody Porter

Joker Phillips’ Cats have played eight games so far this season, but the fate of their season has yet to be told.

They have four games remaining in which they could conceivably pull out the W.

Teams such as Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Georgia and Tennessee make up the remainder of the UK schedule.

Of those four teams, a .500 or below record is held by three of them, so the opportunity to make some noise in the SEC is still a possibility.

Each of those teams have their flaws and strengths, as do the Cats, so with that playing factor, here are two scenarios that I see chronicling the remainder of this season.

Ole Miss (2-6, 0-5 SEC) – Nov. 5

Best Case: The Rebels are on a three game losing streak that consists of losses to three top-25 teams. With the exception of two of their games, Ole Miss has lost by multiple touchdowns to each of their opponents. Because of freshman quarterback Maxwell Smith appearing to have added a new dimension to the offense, the Cats could extend that losing streak for the Rebels with a passing game that has been absent for most of the season. The UK defense could have their easiest SEC match-up as they take on an offense that ranks 90th or worse in scoring, passing and rushing yards.

Worst Case: Ole Miss has played four good football teams in Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn and Georgia. Among those teams, they had a victory well in hand against Arkansas until a second half comeback that was too much for the Rebels to overcome. Having played three of those teams each of the past three weeks, taking on what seemingly was believed a less than talented UK team, Ole Miss could come into Commonwealth and make moving the ball look effortless.

@Vanderbilt (4-4, 1-4 SEC) – Nov. 12

Best Case: Coming off of a victory against Ole Miss, the Cats could conceivably go into Nashville and knock off a Vanderbilt team that has been performing much better than their teams in years past. The Commodores could overlook UK, who are in a similar position with a bowl birth in the grasp and having surprised highly ranked opponents with their ability to compete in the past few weeks. Another helpful area for the Cats would be the less than stellar Vanderbilt passing game that currently ranks 108th in the FBS.

Worst Case: Some national media has predicted that the Commodores will knock off the Florida Gators on Saturday. If they do, a win against UK will put them in position for a bowl berth. For a questionable UK offense, the Commodores will have a defense that is ranked 38th in scoring. Against teams such as Georgia and Arkansas, the Commodores took these top-25 schools to the limit, but came up just short of an upset.

@Georgia (6-2, 5-1 SEC) – Nov. 19

Best Case: I just can’t see the Cats beating Georgia. After two early season defeats, the Bulldogs have got their act together and have used a balance offense to set themselves up for a likely appearance in the SEC championship game. Although a loss, the Cats still could keep it a competitive game, just as Vanderbilt and Tennessee did against the Bulldogs. If the UK running game can be healthy, it can help keep their defense off the field long enough to move the ball against the Georgia defense.

Worst Case: Without a respectable running game, the Cats could be putting more pressure on the shoulders of Max Smith, which would result in a game that could mimic the Cats’ performance against South Carolina. Another blowout would cap off a dismal season. Without a victory over Tennessee the pressure to force Joker out of office would only increase on UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart from the fan base.

Tennessee (3-5, 0-5 SEC) — Nov. 26

Best Case: The Cats end the streak. Not only does UK finally beat Tennessee, but it also clinches yet another bowl appearance and finishes the season 6-6. Tennessee is struggling and has been getting rolled over since the injury to quarterback Tyler Bray. The balance of the UK passing game with a running game consisting of CoShik Williams, Raymond Sanders, Jonathan George, and Morgan Newton from Wildcat formation, the Cats could also roll past the Volunteers. If ever there was a game for this team to be motivated to play, it would obviously be this one. The excitement among both the players and the fans should outmatch that of the “Blackout” this previous Saturday.

Worst Case: I believe this is the year that the streak ends, regardless if this is the Cats’ worst case scenario. After a season that has been so upsetting to everyone involved a victory over the Volunteers would be the most logical conclusion. On the heels of a four-game losing streak, the fan turnout on a cold late November day could be anything but positive for the Cats. Another reasoning would be the motivation factor. Will Phillips be the head coach next season or not? If the players are behind him, ending the 26-year losing streak to the Volunteers would make a huge impact on keeping Phillips around another season.