Keeneland’s College Day gives $20,000 in scholarships

By Lauren Conrad

College students from around the commonwealth lined up Friday at Keeneland’s North Terrace. Dressed in their Keeneland best, they signed up for a chance to win scholarships sponsored by Keeneland and the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association.

Twenty $1,000 scholarships were given, in addition to prizes from Vineyard Vines, Breeder’s Cup, Orange Leaf, Kennedy’s Bookstore, Campus Quilts, Raising Cane’s, Barney Miller’s, Fusion Tanning Studio and Victoria’s Secret.

The first 1,000 students who signed up received a free long-sleeve College Scholarship Day T-shirt.

Students mingled in the North Terrace and listened to live music by Elliot Collett & The Articles, munched on free nachos from Qdoba and quenched their thirst with Vitamin Water and Honest Tea beverages.

Compared to other College Scholarship days, “it’s been pretty great,” said LaBradford Rollins, a communication senior. “I mean the food’s good — the nachos. And the T-shirts are a lot better this year I think.”

All winners were announced on Keeneland’s loudspeaker after each race and were also called or sent a text message to let them know they won.

“It’s a beautiful day to have college day because it’s so pretty outside. I’m excited,” said Elizabeth Lee, a biology student at Georgetown College who attended the day for the first time.

Students from UK and Georgetown were present, as were some from Bluegrass Community and Technical College, Centre, Eastern Kentucky University, Northern Kentucky University and Virginia Tech.

A total of 1,520 students signed up for scholarships this year. Thirteen UK students won $1,000 scholarships.

While some students were newcomers soaking in the experience of College Scholarship Day, others were seasoned veterans.

“It’s a different crowd this year, which is a good thing,” said Nick Laux, a sports business senior from Northern Kentucky University. “A lot more kids have shown up. I think the knowledge of the scholarships and everything has also been helping out. Who doesn’t like horse racing? It’s a tradition down here.”

Students weren’t the only ones excited about Keeneland on Friday. In honor of its 75th anniversary, Keeneland and the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association doubled the number of $1,000 scholarships given out and had more prizes from College Scholarship Day sponsors than in past years.

Doubling the number of scholarships “is really exciting for us,” said Kara Heissenbuttel, marketing and special events coordinator for Keeneland. “We’re able to help a lot more students and give more away.”

Scholarship winners had their pictures taken with a framed announcement of their prizes and left the North Terrace with an extra bounce in their step.

“It’s just a great atmosphere and we’re really excited that we can have the college students come out here and participate,” Heissenbuttel said.