Teaching abroad provides an edge in the job market

By Mary Chellis Austin

For education majors, studying abroad may not seem necessary when they plan to teach in the United States. But for those who have taught in other countries, the experience has led them to gain skills they couldn’t learn elsewhere.

UK alumna Lara L. Walker teaches eighth grade English at a rural Kentucky middle school.

“I spent spring 2011 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, teaching English at an Afrikaans high school,” Walker said. “Because I’ve lived in other countries, I almost daily share my global experiences with students; some of them have never left their country.”

Alumna Holly Wooten taught abroad in Listowel, Ireland.

“I feel as though I learned more about myself and my philosophies on teaching than I ever could have in the States,” she said.

Education Abroad Director Anthony Ogden believes that experience abroad is important to all majors.

“A B.A. isn’t enough,” he said. “You have to set yourself apart.”

While time abroad may look good on a resume, it’s the skill set earned that allows students to thrive in the workplace, he said. For teachers, this includes a worldview unobtainable from Kentucky or even the U.S.

“Teachers need to learn to teach to a multicultural classroom,” Ogden said. “Our country was founded by immigrants and will always be diverse.”

Education majors are required to do student-teaching assignments before graduating.

Sharon Brennan, associate director of the Office of International Engagement in the College of Education, stressed the value of completing the assignment overseas.

“Teachers can bring their experiences back to classrooms and help their students become globally oriented,” she said.

Together, the College of Education and the Education Abroad office are working to see more students teach abroad, like Walker and Wooten have.

“I’ve already seen my travel experiences impact one of my students who continually probes me about where I went to college and how I was able to travel so much,” Walker said. “She wants to go overseas to travel now, too.”

Student teaching abroad has been available to UK students since the late 1960s, and today, through the Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching, programs are offered around the world.

Parker Fawson, associate dean for International Engagement at the College of Education, has helped facilitate a new eight-week program in Xi’an, China.

“Students stay with Chinese families,” he said, “and they get exposure to the language, instruction style and culture.”

Opportunities like these give students more opportunities in their careers.

“Where are the jobs?” Ogden said. “Big cities, the West. What are you doing now to give yourself an edge?”

He said a position in his office is yet to be filled because graduates are overqualified in their education level but lack the skills that come from time spent abroad.

Wooten said she returned home from Ireland to nine interview offers.

“I think that student teaching in Ireland showed my independence, flexibility and appreciation for diversity,” she said.

Walker said she thinks it’s important to inform students about overseas opportunities.

“Education majors, make it happen,” Walker said. “There is a huge world out there beyond the U.S. to explore, learn from and bring back with you.”