UK raises tuition by 6 percent

The announcement of UK’s 12th president was not the only item on the agenda during Tuesday’s Board meeting.

The Board also passed the motion to increase undergraduate tuition by 6 percent.

The decision will increase lower-division undergraduate resident tuition by $259 and upper-division undergraduate resident tuition by $267.

The Board’s vote on tuition was not unanimous. The final vote was 12-6.

Trustees Ryan Smith, Pamela May, Dermontti Dawson, Penny Brown, Erwin Roberts and Charles Sachatello voted in opposition to the motion.

Smith, Student Government president, was the first to speak in protest of the increase.

He said understood the importance of occasionally raising tuition in order to afford the opportunity of having higher quality faculty and maintaining class options so that when students graduate their degrees carry weight.

“I also understand the challenging times that we’re in and the demographics of our state, and I think 130 percent increase over 10 years is a substantial burden on the citizens of Kentucky and our state and students,” Smith said. “In order to maintain the mission of the state’s flagship institution and to serve the entire state, we must draw a line at some point.”

Faculty trustee Everett McCorvey said that he felt the problem with raising tuition rests with Kentucky’s legislators, not with the university.

“The students are being taxed because something’s not happening at a legislative level,” McCorvey said.

McCorvey said the need for faculty salary increases as one reason tuition should be raised.

This year is the first time in three years faculty will receive a raise.

UK President Lee Todd said it is imperative faculty receive this raise.

“One thing I’m most proud of is how the faculty and staff have kept their heads up working through this period of time,” Todd said, “and we need this pay raise.”

The vote also approved a 7.8 percent increase in tuition for the College of Law, which can set its own tuition and was not limited to the 6 percent increase for the undergraduate tuition, said James Stuckert, trustee and chairman of the Finance Committee.

Two second-year law students, Derek Hall and Amy Oliver, addressed the Finance Committee Tuesday morning during its meeting concerning the increase for law school students.

Hall and Oliver were acting under new measures put in place by the Board to allow more input into the Board’s decisions.

Oliver said the Board members of the Finance Committee were warmly accepting of her and Hall and that the meeting went well.