Who is Ryan Harrow?

Ryan Harrow either did or did not visit UK’s campus, depending on conflicting reports from the Cats Pause and KSR.

More reports say he is considering UK (along with Georgia and Georgia Tech) after transferring from North Carolina State because of coach Sidney Lowe’s departure.

Harrow would be eligible in 2012 and have three years remaining, should he transfer to UK.

Coming out of high school, Harrow was considered a five-star prospect by Scout.com and was the No. 8 point guard in the class (behind Kyrie Irving, Josh Selby, Brandon Knight, Cory Joseph and three other relatively non-immediate impact guys). He was ranked No. 19 overall by Rivals.

Harrow started 10 games and averaged 23 minutes per game. He averaged 9.3 points. He sat out most of the beginning of the year before earning a spot in the starting lineup in January, following that up with 17 points against Florida State and 15 against Duke.

So why would UK be looking at Harrow? The Class of 2012 isn’t totally loaded with point guards. From Scout.com’s rankings, only three are five-star prospects — and two, Rodney Purvis (Louisville) and Kevin Ferrell are not only gone, but gone to rival schools. (Beyond that, No. 5-6-7 are all gone as well.) The other five-star, L.J. Rose, has UK on a long list of possible destinations. But it certainly isn’t a sure thing, and Calipari isn’t looking to end the streak of talented point guards at five.

An excerpt from Charlotte Observer columnist Luke DeCock said that Harrow flashed his promising potential but was derailed by illness, and he could have been one of the better point guards in the ACC his sophomore year.

It’s a shame, because Harrow showed flashes of real brilliance during his freshman year at State as both a scorer and distributor. His speed was a legitimate weapon, his shot a surprising one.

He never really fully displayed what he’s capable of doing — the virus that struck him in January knocked too much weight off his already slender frame, and it took Lowe far too long to get Harrow in the starting lineup ahead of Javi Gonzalez — but the potential was there, with enough production to generate confidence that he’d get there someday.

As a sophomore, Harrow had every chance to be one of the better point guards in the ACC. Wherever he lands, he’ll contribute.