SEC tiebreaker rules

UK is still chasing the No. 2 seed in the SEC East, which would give them a first-round bye in the tournament.

Currently, UK is tied with Vanderbilt, and holds the tiebreaker over them due to its better record in the SEC East.

However, Georgia sits a half game back, and would move into a three-way tie with a win tonight against LSU. If that three-way tie would hold through the final weekend (UK plays at Tennessee, Vanderbilt plays Florida, and Georgia is at Alabama), Vanderbilt would get the No. 2 seed because they are 3-1 against the other two teams (UK and Georgia are both 2-2). If UK won against Tennessee, and either Vanderbilt or Georgia lost, then UK would get the No. 2 seed.

Basically, UK needs a two-way tie, and needs to avoid a three-way tie. We’ll update these scenarios after tonight’s Georgia and LSU game.

Below is the full SEC Tie-breaking procedures, complete down to a commissioner coin flip.

SEC Tournament Tie-Breaker Procedures

1. Two-Team Tie: The following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken:

A) Won-lost results of head-to-head competition between the two teams.

B) Division won-lost record of the two teams (10 games).

C) Won-lost record of the two teams versus the No. 1 seed in their division (and proceeding through the No. 6 seed, if necessary).

D) Non-division won-lost record of the two teams (six games).

E) Won-lost record of the two teams versus the No. 1 seed in the opposite division (and proceeding through the No. 6 seed, if necessary).

F) Coin flip by the Commissioner.

2. Three-Team Tie (or more): When three of more teams are tied for a division finish, the following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams remain tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used.

A) Total won-lost record of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 — Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three). B)

Division won-lost record

of the tied teams (10 games). C)

Won-lost record of the tied teams versus the No. 1 seed in their division

(and proceeding through the No. 6 seed, if necessary). D)

Non-division won-lost record of the tied teams

(six games). E)

Won-lost record of the tied teams versus the No. 1 seed in the opposite division (and

proceeding through the No. 6 seed, if necessary). F)

Draw by the Commissioner.