Cats know the sound of the treadmill

Tucked away in the corner of UK’s practice floor sits a treadmill. It’s the “best treadmill made,” according to head coach John Calipari, the man who holds the authority to banish players to 30-second runs at 16 miles per hour if they do something wrong in practice.

“You’re going to run, or you’re going to be flipping under it,” Calipari said.

The treadmill sits silent most of the time, but its presence hovers over every practice. It sits in the peripherals of players, a constant reminder to go hard and do what they are supposed to do. And when it does come on, it’s a hum that sounds like an airplane engine to Josh Harrellson.

“I was one of the first ones to get on it,” Harrellson said. “That thing is a monster.”

The monster is a tool for Calipari to use on players who ignore his teachings. A whole litany of transgressions have been cause for a player to head over to the corner: Not getting in a defensive stance, not running hard, not grabbing rebounds with two hands.

“Whatever he says you better do it, or you’re going to be running,” Harrellson said.

The treadmill isn’t used frequently. About one or two players get the treatment per practice. But even though it’s not a welcome sound, or sight, to the players — “I don’t like the treadmill,” Doron Lamb said simply — it does serve it’s purpose of making players listen to Calipari rather effectively.

“It makes everybody do everything right the whole time,” Harrellson said.

Although he recognizes its purpose, Harrellson still cringes a little when he sees a teammate forced to the treadmill.

“I look at him, like, I feel sorry for him right now,” Harrellson said. “Because I was one of the first to get on it, and it’s terrible.”