Tobacco signs damaged, vandalized

In case students forget the day UK became completely tobacco-free, they can be reminded by the signs placed throughout campus purchased by the university — as long as they are not missing or damaged.

Between 55 and 60 tobacco-free signs have been damaged or have vanished since Nov. 19, said Bob Wiseman, vice president for facilities management.

Wiseman said UK originally spent less than estimated on the signage, so it had leftover funds that will be used to pay for sign replacement. He said replacing the signs would cost about $2,500.

“We will not need additional money,” he said.

In preparation for the tobacco-free policy, the university installed about 100 tobacco-free signs about a week before the ban, costing the university $25,000 to $35,000, according to a Nov. 11 Kernel article.

No particular areas throughout campus have had more damage than others, according to an e-mail sent by Phil Tackett, maintenance superintendent for the UK Physical Plant.

Damaged signs include one that was completely removed from the ground and double-sided signs where one side had damage but the other side did not, according to the e-mail.

Wiseman said replacing the signs has minimal impact on the Physical Plant, and the  damaged signs were discovered through routine activities.