Proposal to eliminate SG Senate position fails

By Casey Wheeless

A Student Government proposal to eliminate the majority of senator-at-large positions did not pass at Wednesday night’s full Senate meeting. The proposal will be redrafted and presented again at a later date.

The proposal was to keep the same 40 senator positions but take the senator-at-large spots away, giving them to representative senators of other colleges. The plan would leave three spots for freshmen senators and one spot for an undeclared sophomore senator.

Andrea Patsalides, College of Communications senator, proposed a “friendly amendment” to cut down the number of senators-at-large from 15 to 10 rather than eliminating them.

“I feel like we’re going to the extreme,” she said. “I don’t know if it will be enough to represent the whole population.”

Matt Marano, College of Design senator, serves on the committee that proposed the plan and said he feels this would answer concerns that some colleges have more representation than others.

“The Senate will be reorganized based on proportional representation of the current enrollment,” Marano said.

Falon Thacker, College of Arts and Sciences senator, thinks the proposal would improve the overall quality of the senate.

“People will be more likely to vote … we will be able to create a more inclusive and diverse Senate,” Thacker said.