WWII veterans pass the baton

By Katie Perkowski

Five World War II Air Force fighter pilots are coming to UK to encourage students to do the ‘right stuff.’

Lieutenants William Creech, Hank Snow, David Thompson, Jesse Townsend and William Young were in the 528 Fighter Squadron and call themselves the 528 Dragonflies.

Capt. Karl Bennett, who convinced the men to come to UK, said the speech is not so much a war story, but what it takes to make sacrifices for a person’s country, and to be willing to fight and die for a cause.

“The WWII generation will be connecting with this generation, which I’m convinced also has the ‘right stuff’,” Bennett said. “It’s really trying to hash on what it means to be an American, particularly a Kentuckian.”

Cadet Lt. Col. Jourdan Kurtz said the speech is one of the last times older students will be able to talk to veterans, particularly pilots who flew in WWII.

“This is going to be a unique opportunity where a world cadet is going to be shaking hands with a cadet going off to training next year,” Bennett said.

Bennett said he wants the speakers to be recognized for their service to the country.

“I’m doing this because I’m not ashamed to blow their horn,” he said. “Those guys need to get some recognition that they never got.”

Former student to be honored at lecture:

A former UK student and staff writer for the Kernel will be honored at Thursday’s speech.

John E. Disney, a student during the 1940s and pilot with the 528 Dragonflies, was killed in China during his 165th mission, Bennett said.

Bennett, cousin of Disney, said Disney inspired him to join the Air Force, and his family has never forgotten him.

Bennett will speak briefly of his cousin and his impact.