Harvest festival performed near equinox

By Ellen Baker

The Mid-Autumn Festival, also called the Moon Festival, which celebrates the moon at its fullest and brightest form, is one of the most important holidays in China and is celebrated near the time of the autumn equinox.

The celebration of the moon originated as a harvest festival since grain and crops had been harvested by this time and food was abundant. The celebration was used for relaxation and celebration and food offerings were arranged on an altar in a courtyard for people to take, according to Chinavoc.com.

The Kentucky Chinese American Association kicked off its Moon Festival at Shillito Park, located behind Fayette Mall, on Saturday afternoon.

The traditional food of the festival, the moon cake, was sold in a variety of flavors and the day included a talent show with singing, dancing and playing instruments.

Lindsey Florence, an education senior, was invited by her professor to attend.

“I don’t speak Chinese, but I’m from Seattle and we have the cultural festivals often,” Florence said. “They’re so interesting and diversity is awesome with me.”

Darra Jackson, an international affairs freshman at Western Kentucky University, came with the university’s Chinese Flagship Program.

“It’s a great cultural experience, it can really open your mind,” Jackson said. “It’s one of the main Chinese festivals to spend time with friends and family.”

The non-profit and non-political organization’s mission is to serve communities in Kentucky by promoting appreciation of the Chinese cultures and cross-cultural understanding by providing opportunities for interaction among members and their communities, according to its Web site.

For more information about the organization and its events visit, (http://www.kyacap.org/).