Bluegrass musicians offer new taste to campus

By Brooke McCloud

Bluegrass musicians entertained students, staff and music fans Friday in the Niles Gallery of the Fine Arts Library as part of the 2009 Appalachia in the Bluegrass concert series.

Banjo master Lee Sexton, strummed alongside fellow musicians Rich Kirby, Roy Tackett and 11-year-old Jack Adams.

This year’s concert series aims to focus on “old time music” including old and new music based upon a strong Kentucky heritage, according to the concert series Web site.

Musicology professor Ron Pen said he holds these concerts to give students another aspect of learning.

“I do a concert every Friday instead of just listening to a recording. Students get to experience a little about Bluegrass music and Lee Sexton without making the drive,” Pen said.

The instruments played included banjos, fiddles, a mandolin and a guitar, and the band played about 20 songs, including traditional favorites such as “Common Gap” and “Shady Grove.”

“It is interesting to experience a different type of music that people aren’t used to, it opens your eyes to different genres,” said Kyle Aurand, a business management junior. Aurand attended the concert for his Appalachian music course.

Lee Sexton added commentary in between songs, telling stories and jokes to the audience.

“I really like the way the musicians interacted with the audience. It is raw music and I liked how I got the chance to connect with Appalachian music,” said Jennifer Saman, an art history senior.

“The concerts will always be held in Niles Gallery, no matter how packed the room gets, because it feels like being inside an instrument itself,” Pen said.

This week guitar player, singer and songwriter Carol Elizabeth Jones will be performing along with fiddler and singer Rayna Gellert, according to the concert series Web site.