UK vs. Florida: position by position

Quarterback

Mike Hartline led UK to back-to-back touchdowns last weekend in a nice come-from-behind victory. Maybe Hartline finally turned the corner and found a reliable target in freshman Randall Cobb. But Florida has Tim Tebow. He won the Heisman Trophy. Too close to call, right?

Adv: Florida

Running back

Thought the talk about Tebow was finished? Not when he has more rushing attempts than the combined amount of Florida’s top two running backs. Among running backs, the speedy Chris Rainey leads them in attempts. Percy Harvin, the running back/wide receiver, is another option that the Gators utilize in the backfield. The secret weapon? Freshman Jeffrey Demps, who had 129 yards and a touchdown against Louisiana State two weeks ago. Junior Alfonso Smith and sophomore Moncell Allen aren’t slouches by any means for UK. But with sophomore Derrick Locke out for the season, Florida has a serious depth advantage.

Adv: Florida

Wide receiver

Percy Harvin is established. He is talked about as a potential Heisman candidate. As much as Randall Cobb has lifted up UK, he’s still a freshman. Five minutes and two touchdowns doesn’t make a receiving career, but it’s a start.

Adv: Florida

Offensive line

Question: when the Southeastern Conference compiles its stats on least sacks allowed, a category that UK still is tied for first in, do they account for the plays where Mike Hartline has dropped the ball (Alabama) or thrown interceptions because of pressure (South Carolina)? Answer: no, but maybe they should. Until then, UK will still probably lead this category.

Adv: UK

Defensive line

The loss of Myron Pryor is a major hit to UK’s defensive line, but despite that, UK still has a strong unit. Ricky Lumpkin is ready to fill in and Corey Peters and Jeremy Jarmon are still playing. Unless Lumpkin proves to be an unfit replacement, UK won’t lose this category.

Adv: UK

Linebackers

UK head coach Rich Brooks isn’t sure if any of his starting linebackers will be available against the Gators. Gator Brandon Spikes is one of, if not the best, linebackers in the SEC. With UK facing the real possibility of playing without Micah Johnson, Braxton Kelley and Johnny Williams, there is no way UK wins this one.

Adv: Florida

Secondary

If David Jones can’t play, it gives UK a little bit of a problem. But as long as junior Trevard Lindley plays, someone on Florida’s offense is getting shut down. Senior safety Marcus McClinton returned to 2006 form against Arkansas. Against Tebow, UK is going to need everyone they can get.

Adv: UK

Special teams

There is absolutely no way UK can win this category. No analysis needed.

Adv: Florida

Overall

Injuries just solidify what was probably already true — Florida is and should be favored to win, and Florida will and should win. A 21-20 win over lowly Arkansas doesn’t change anything for UK because it is facing one of the top teams in the SEC, on the road, as they come off a bye week. The Gators turned a corner against LSU. UK may have peeked around that corner last week. Did they turn it? Only time will tell.

Adv: Florida