UK students in path of seasonal flu outbreak

Column by David Ritchie

Since the first case of the H1N1 outbreak this spring, the formerly unbeknownst four-letter word – or abbreviation rather – has quickly become a household name.  Initially termed the “swine flu” for its genetic similarities to strains of Influenza. A virus found in pigs, it has since been more appropriately declared a “novel H1N1”, as it is actually a combination of pig, bird and human flu viruses.  This combination of genetic information from various animal species gives the novel H1N1 flu virus the potential to cause an illness much more severe than that of the seasonal flu.  Furthermore, while the seasonal flu virus is responsible for thousands of deaths in infants and the elderly each year, the current H1N1 flu may pose its greatest threat to children and young adults; a reason for concern amongst college students.

A similar H1N1 virus was the culprit behind the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, which caused between 50 and 100 million deaths worldwide.  More than 50 percent of these deaths were in otherwise young and healthy individuals.  While the current H1N1 is not expected to be as deadly as the Spanish Flu, similar age groups are at the greatest risk.  According to the World Health Organization, 25 to 50 percent of the most severe cases of H1N1 reported thus far have occurred in young and middle-aged adults.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have advised that college students take special care to avoid contracting the flu, as college campuses may be prone to isolated outbreaks.  H1N1 is primarily spread by inhalation of or direct contact with droplets emitted by the sneeze or cough of an infected person, much like the spread of the seasonal flu.  Frequent hand washing or sanitizing, sneezing into a tissue (or your shirt sleeve), avoiding touching your mouth and face and staying clear of sick people can collectively minimize your risk of infection.

Additionally, an H1N1 vaccine may be available to the general public this October.  The seasonal flu vaccine is available now, although it will only provide protection from the seasonal flu virus and not the novel H1N1 strain.

Should you have the misfortune of contracting the H1N1 flu, you will likely experience traditional flu-like symptoms including fever, chills, muscle aches, weakness, sore throat, cough and a runny or stuffy nose.  Some cases have also involved vomiting and diarrhea.  While these symptoms should resolve themselves within seven days without the need for medication, it is extremely important to stay hydrated, get plenty of rest and avoid contact with others until 24 hours after your fever is gone.  Students can call 323-INFO to speak to a University Health Services nurse and determine if a physician visit is necessary.

The key to avoiding an encounter with H1N1 will be smart and consistent personal hygiene.  Keep your health in mind at all times, particularly when attending large gatherings such as UK football games.  Consider carrying hand-sanitizer with you for on-the-go hand cleansing.  Also, be sure to stay informed about the latest developments and recommendations from health professionals.  Special instructions and information for students regarding H1N1 issued by the university are available on UK’s website.

David Ritchie is a College of Medicine Senator.  E-mail [email protected].