Contrary to preachers, grace is for everybody

Letter to Editor by Josiah Durham

As classes get rolling and another year kicks off for students, there has been a noticeable presence of street preachers standing and “preaching” to us students. As a strong, unabashed Christian myself, I cannot fault their courage to spread the Word. Yet, as I walk to class I am saddened, ashamed and even embarrassed by the fashion of their preaching.

However, their attempts to reach people by yelling, screaming, and proclaiming, “Turn or Burn!” are outdated at best, and narrowly focused on one aspect of a gracious God. This will not reach young students. It breaks my heart to see my peers walk away from a discussion about Christ extremely frustrated and furious with the discussion that they just walked away from. Hearts are only being hardened in the process of these attempts to reach people.

The God that I serve has an equal amount of grace to contrast with His characteristic of judgment. This is the side that should be harped on by street teachers. By human nature we are born into sin. Everyone since the beginning of time has struggled with this human complex. Save for one; Jesus.

Yet God, in His infinite mercy and grace, provided a way to atone for our sins through the sacrifice of His only Son. That sure doesn’t sound like a God who is 100 percent geared toward judging people.

God’s grace is for everyone, and everyone needs this grace the same. No matter what you have done or who you have become, God is extending His hand to you. There is not one who needs His grace less. Not even campus preachers.

Romans 3:22-24. Look it up and read for yourself.

Josiah Durham

Biology

Junior