Sampling the nation’s brews: Kentucky Ale to be featured among 150 other beers for Fest-of-Ales at Cheapside Park

By Cambron Wright

Lexington has an opportunity to appreciate a true American craft this weekend.

Friday from 5 to 9 p.m., Cheapside Park will host the Lexington Fest-of-Ales, a beer tasting festival organized by the Downtown Lexington Corporation along with the Brewers of Central Kentucky.

“It’s a great cultural event that showcases craft beers, focusing on North American breweries,” said Renee Jackson, the DLC president. “If students enjoy sampling different beers, they should come appreciate the various tastes of our selected national breweries.”

Laura Farnsworth, event coordinator, said 150 beers will be represented from over 40 nationwide breweries, including the local brewery Kentucky Ale.

One $20 ticket provides a tasting glass and 20 3- to 4-oz. samples. Samples are available for $1 after the other 20 have been used up.

“It’s about showing people what’s out there that they may have missed thus far,” said Chris Vandergrift, the primary fermenter of the Brewers of Central Kentucky.

“It’s about finding a new favorite style or brand, stepping up your palate to respect something new,” he said.

Sampling is for ages 21 and older, but all ages can come to the free event. Tickets for sampling are sold at Pazzo’s, all Lexington Liquor Barns and the Central Bank Thursday Night Live concert series, also located at Cheapside Park.

For more information, visit http://www.lexingtonfestofales.com.