Students undecided on health care reform

By Kirsten Clancy

The words “health care” and “death panels” have been swarming national headlines lately.  While some UK students feel strongly about the issue, others are not even aware of the current reform.

“I listened to talk radio over the summer, but I haven’t done any personal research,” said Claire Heitzman, a classics sophomore.

Those who do know of the reform believe, good or bad, change will come.

“I think all the good doctors are going to move away because the government isn’t going to pay them what they deserve,” said James Isaac, a mining engineering freshman.

President Barack Obama is pushing a health care reform act, which would allow new buyers to purchase insurance through a public, government-funded exchange. To fund this reform, the president plans to tax the upper class and companies who do not offer their employees approved insurance.

“Health care is a right, not a privilege,” said Nichole Stark, historian of the College Democrats and a political science and social work senior.

A recent study performed by the United Nations World Health Organization reports that health care in 2007 cost $7,439 per capita. Health care costs are rising faster than wages, according to factcheck.org.

Opposition to the bill comes partially from those who fear the loss of competition among private insurance companies, as well as those who fear an increase in the national deficit.

Support for the bill comes partially from those who feel the new taxes would be sufficient to pay for the plan and those who believe the plan has the potential to bring positive change.

“Health care is going to raise taxes … It’s going to hurt small businesses and our economy,” said Steve Smith, chairman of the College Republicans and a political science senior. “We don’t have the infrastructure to do it … we’re already trillions of dollars in debt.”

The debate is stirring within the older generation, but according to an ABC News report, young activists who were a large part of Obama’s support base feel detached from the issue.

The National Coalition on Health Care reports that college graduates are the least likely group to have health insurance.

Roughly 67 percent of college students were covered under their parents’ employee health insurance plans in 2006, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

UK offers insurance through Aetna Student Health.

“I do believe (Obama’s) plan is going to work,” said Clif Banks, a  political science freshman. “It is going to be universal. It’s not just for younger people.”