The Final Effect: End of the semester cause local business hours, patterns to change

By Sarah Wilder

With Dead Week in full swing, and finals week quickly approaching, students may find themselves looking for a quiet place to study outside of the library. While some businesses will be extending their hours at the cost of their own sleep, others have decided to not let finals week affect their hours.

Various businesses feel that by extending their hours, they hurt the student workers they employ. Common Grounds, located at 343 E. High St., has extended their hours in the past but has chosen not to do so this year, said Lauren Shows, an employee and English graduate student at UK.

Shows said she would not like it if she had to work extended hours during the last two weeks of the semester, but said she would work if Common Grounds had scheduled her.

Trevor Sutherland, manager of Coffea, located at 385 Rose St., decided to extend business hours during the last two weeks of the semester. There are some employees who do not want to work late at night, but some actually prefer it, Sutherland said.

“It gets slow late at night, and there’s only so much cleaning you can do,” he said. “Some prefer this shift, because they can study when it dies down around here.”

Coffea will extend its usual business hours to 24 hours on Wednesday of Dead Week until Wednesday of finals, when they will then resume their normal hours. In the past, Coffea’s extended hours would last the two weeks that encompasses both Dead Week and finals, but Sutherland felt it was too much work.

Last semester the coffee shop extended its hours only during finals week, however, some students complained about it not being open the full 24 hours during Dead Week, Sutherland said.

“It’s a service to students,” he said. “It offers them a place to study other than the library. It’s not a moneymaker by any means. The last few semesters we’ve done it, we’ve barely broken even.”

Psychology Junior Leigh Anne Koonmen was studying at Coffea with mining and engineering Sophomore David Norton on Sunday evening. “We’re here pretty much everyday. It’s a good study environment,” Koonmen said.

Norton said he prefers studying at Coffea over the library because the library becomes “loud” during finals week. “It definitely helps that Coffea is open 24 hours during finals week,” Norton said.

Tolly-Ho, a restaurant located on South Limestone that is open 24/7 regularly, sees an increase in business during Dead Week and finals week compared to the rest of the year, manager Aaron Milling said.

“During the day, you see a decrease in business, but when students get done with their finals, they get excited and come out to ‘The Ho’ to get some food,” he said.

Tolly-Ho has no trouble filling late-night shifts because student employees do not mind working them, Milling said.