Student Center provides great programming and Kernel must research instead of blindly reporting

The problem with the recent Kernel editorial on the current makeup of Student Affairs is that it didn’t go far enough in its investigation. If it did, it would have done more than just report the ridiculous statements made in the committee report.

What needs to be done to “fix the problem” of general programming and the Student Center is to simply come to the events. If the editorial board had opened their eyes instead of blindly reporting, they would have seen what the Student Center and general programming has to offer. Bear in mind, this isn’t a lash out to the Kernel overall, but merely an educational piece. With over 120,000 students participating in Cats Den events this year alone, it’s hard to believe that “there is nothing to do but go to bars or go home,” as the report said. With everything from forums with President Todd to screening “Darius Goes West,” tomorrow’s Metal Chef to video game tournaments, I wonder now who this committee chose for their focus group. If people took the time to stop and look at all the fliers hanging up on campus, there wouldn’t be this type of report.

Unfortunately, we are in a campus climate of apathy and that gets translated to these committees and reflects negatively on the hard working individuals in the Student Center. What I have to ask the Kernel is: do you think this type of reporting will help bring the change that you call for? Or will it detract from the good work that is already being done? If the committee took the time to look at just a month’s worth of programming provided by the Student Center and general programming, then it would not have made such a general, negative statement, even when those comments came from students.

These students obviously are the ones who sit in their dorm room, not utilizing their resources here on campus. I believe that we can always have good, effective change. But just because a select few made a comment that you all and the committee felt was noteworthy enough to print for thousands to read, doesn’t mean that the student center has lost its knack for giving students what they desire. I encourage each student who reads this to stop and pay attention to what’s going on and around your campus. Educate yourself on these events. You’re only here for a short time.

James D. Davidson, Jr.

community and leadership development senior