Raising their voices and singing:Gospel choir keeps African-American music styles alive

By Erika Hunt

On Sunday, UK’s Black Voices gospel choir will host an annual event lifting their voices and singing praise.

Founded in 1970, the Black Voices gospel choir was formed by a mutual love and dedication of gospel music by a group of African-American students. It was eventually formed into an official UK student organization. The group focuses on the tradition of African-American spirituals and gospel music.

“It provides us the ability to express ourselves to others in order to help spread the meaning of the music and the Lord’s words,” said Black Voices president Jeremy Taylor.

The choir will perform at Memorial Hall from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Some of the Black Voices greatest accomplishments include two recordings to their credit, “God Is,” which was recorded in 1974, and “Victory Shall be Mine,” recorded in 1975.

The group has been rehearsing for the concert for several weeks, said Joyce Beatty, the Black Voices adviser and director of the William C. Parker Scholarship.

“I look forward to the Annual Spring Concert because it is the big finale for the choir’s efforts throughout the academic year, and I personally enjoy the student involvement within their particular musical form,” said Beatty, who will serve as the event’s emcee.

Taylor said the group strongly encourages people to attend Sunday night’s performance.

“It’s a different kind of music that will offer encouragement, support and advice that is essential for one’s well being,” Taylor said.

Entrance to the Black Voices performance is free with the donation of a canned food, benefiting God’s Pantry downtown. Admission without the canned food is $1. For up-to-date information regarding both the event and the Black Voices, visit its group on Facebook.