Officials highlight campus services

By Kate Dauer

Police and other safety officials talked with students Wednesday about different services on campus.

During the forum, in the Center for Student Involvement, representatives from UK Parking and Transportation Services and UK Police gave presentations on their particular field and answered the questions and concerns that the students had. They also listened to some of their suggestions.

A representative from Parking and Transportation Services gave a presentation on some of the services available to students such as the CATS bus, LexTran and the newer TaxiCats program, an agreement with Parking and Transportation Services and All American Taxi that offers cheaper taxi rides to students around campus. A schedule of bus routes and times for some of these services can be accessed at www.uky.edu/parking.Maj. Joe Monroe, UK’s interim police chief, talked about UK Police and the role they play in campus safety.

Monroe highlighted the major crime concerns that have been present in the past on campus and showed how these concerns have significantly declined in the past year.

The discussion also turned to the topic of the tobacco ban that will be effective on campus Nov. 19.

By enacting the tobacco ban, the university is “looking toward your health and your safety,” said Donna Gabbard, who works for the Office of Residence Life as an adviser of the Resident Student Association.

Ben Knuf, an international studies senior who attended the event, said he would like the university to meet people halfway with the tobacco ban.

“Maybe provide designated shelters or something on campus for smokers instead of having to walk ten minutes across the street to smoke, when you already have so little time in between classes,” Knuf said.

A campus safety and security report for 2008 was also made available to those in attendance at the meeting.