Carnegie Center offers low-cost tutoring option

By Kirsten Clancy

Kevin Lindsay said he brings his son Evan, 9, for tutoring in math, reading and writing to make sure he stays focused on school.

His son said he likes the math. He also likes his tutor,  Transylvania University freshman Debi Hickman.

“She helps me spell words and figure out math problems. We play games,” Evan said.

Hickman and Evan are one tutoring pair that meets at the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning, a center located on West Second Street where UK students volunteer. The Carnegie Center offers a low-cost, after-school tutoring program for K-12 students every weekday.

The tutoring program occurs Monday through Thursday from 3 to 7 p.m. and on Fridays from 3 to 5 p.m.

The program costs $25 per student, which is low compared to other big name tutoring programs such as Sylvan, said tutoring coordinator Fatimah Shalash. Students meet with their tutor for one hour per week on a set schedule; no walk-ins are allowed.

Each student is matched with a tutor that meets his or her scheduling, academic and personality needs. There are around 115 students and 120 tutors enrolled in the program, and around 40 of the tutors are UK students.

When a student enrolls in the program, the student’s family meets with Shalash who gives the student a reading and writing assessment. Shalash then looks for tutors who fit the student’s schedule and personality.

“If the student is active, I want to find a tutor that can handle that,” she said.

If a student is far behind in reading, he or she is referred to Jason Routin, a UK literacy graduate student and the literacy coordinator for the program.

“We take regular tutors off the street, but sometimes they are not equipped to handle certain problems.

That’s where I step in,” Routin said. He currently tutors around 20 students.

One girl he tutored two years ago was a high school junior assessed to read at a fourth-grade reading level. Routin said he got her to reading at a much higher level when her family decided her needs had been met.

He said part of her problem was confidence.

“Your perception of your reading plays a part in how successful you’ll be,” Routin said.

Nichols is in charge of finding volunteers. She then sends the volunteers to Shalash, who pairs each tutor with a student. Students typically stay in the program for one year, and tutors are required to volunteer for at least one semester. Many tutors though, continue coming back year after year. One tutor has been in the program for six years, Shalash said.

Most, however, tutor just for fun. Evan’s tutor, Hickman, said tutoring is a good way to do community service while enjoying herself.

“We have fun,” she said.

For more information on how to volunteer, go to the Carnegie Center’s Web site, (www.carnegieliteracy.org) and click the “Volunteer Opportunities” link.