Things get bloody in 3-D horror film

By Matt Murray

­

There’s nothing like having a pickaxe thrown at your face in the middle of a movie theater. Fortunately for moviegoers, the winter’s most popular Valentine’s Day movie offers this very opportunity in “My Bloody Valentine 3-D.”

“My Bloody Valentine 3-D” is more than just a movie; it’s an experience. This remake of the 80s cult classic certainly lives up to the infamy of its predecessor.

The original film was forced to remove an entire 10 minutes from its run-time due to excessive gore. Those who expect the same type of grisly scenes in this modern remake will not be disappointed, only this time your spiffy 3-D glasses ensure the flying body parts literally end up right in front of your face.

Yes, the fact that the movie is in 3-D is a gimmick, but this is in no way a flaw. The movie takes full advantage of the technology without going over the top. Blossoming horror director, Patrick Lussier, strategically designed scenes that would only be enhanced by the effect rather than being hindered by it.

This film is a thrill-ride in the confines of a movie theater. It is fun to see with an audience, and really should be seen in theaters. Witnessing fellow audience members duck from flying limbs, and seeing grown men scream when the murderous miner emerges from the shadows, is an experience all in its own. The reactions of the audience are just as much a part of the film as the movie itself.

While this movie is a relentless gore-fest, this is not to say the film is short on plot. It won’t be up for an Academy Award, but it does keep you engaged and guessing. While character development is relatively weak, the film avoids becoming a simple, hollow slasher film. The scares are not banked solely on the infamous “pop-out” scene that plagues so many horror movies these days, but instead capitalizes on its ability to add to its shock value through your 3-D glasses.

This film is not for everyone. However, for those who are fans of the genre, or enjoy experiencing a movie with an energetic crowd, this will be the most fun you will have had in a movie theater in a long time.